HOW TRUE IS THIS
November 18, 2020 at 9:02 AM
An interesting post I saw on facebook.
A customer asked me how much it would cost to do this job.......
I answered him $1500.
He said - so expensive for this job?
I asked - how much do you think it would cost you?
He answers me - $800 maximum.....That's a pretty simple job right?
- for $800 I'll teach you how to. So besides saving $700, you'll get the knowledge for the next time.
- it seemed right to him and he agreed.
- But to get started: you need tools: A welder, grinder, chop saw, drill press, welding hood, gloves etc....
- But I don't have all this equipment and I can't buy all of these for one job.
-Well then for another $300 more i'll rent my stuff to you so you can do it.
- Okay, he says.
- Okay. Tuesday we will do this work.
- But I can't on Tuesday I only have time today.
- I'm sorry, but I'm only available Tuesday to teach you and lend you my stuff. Other days are busy with other customers.
- Okay! That means I'm going to have to sacrifice my Tuesday, give up my tasks.
- I forgot. To do your job yourself, you also have to pay for the nonproductive factors.
- That is? What is this?
- Bureacratic, tax, vat, security, insurance, fuel etc.
- oh no!....But to accomplish these tasks, I'm going to spend more money and waste a lot of time!
- Do you have them? You can do it for me?
- I'll make you all the material you need. Truck loading is done Monday evening or Tuesday morning, you'll have to come by 6am for loading the truck. Don't forget to be on time to avoid traffic jams, to be punctual.
- At 6am??? Nope! Too early for me! I am used to getting up later.
- You know, I've been thinking. You get the job done. I'd rather pay you the $1,500. If I had to, It wouldn't be perfect and it would cost me a lot more.
When you pay for a job, especially handcrafted/or specialist knowledge, you pay not only for the material used but also for:-
- time to go
- safety and security
- payment of tax obligations.
- and more
Remember this next time you look at the cost of a job and think it's too expensive. How much would it cost if you did it yourself/can you even do it yourself.
Have a geat day!!